Monday, September 13, 2010

Wizard of Oz, right?


Shorts:  Flea market in L.A.
Shirt:  Secondhand store in Denmark

On Friday, Colin and I went to a burlesque show at a bar in Los Angeles and it was an incredible display of sexuality and femininity.  I was completely in awe by the women and their mesmerizing dances.  My outfit for the evening was 20s inspired (and so was Colin's, kinda). 





(I really wish Colin weren't topless in this photo... it would be such a great picture otherwise!)

Dress:  Secondhand store in Los Angeles
Cardigan:  Inherited from grandfather
Shoes:  Secondhand store in Phoenix
Gloves:  Antique store in... Charleston?

After we had gotten back from the bars (plural), we went to a cafe near the loft that my parents own in downtown L.A. and picked up a delicious chocolate crepe.  While standing in line a very drunken-looking guy mumbled to me "Wizard of Oz, right?"  I wasn't quite sure what he was referring to (I guess it was my outfit?) so I smiled back at him, and he noticed Colin beside me and said, "Are you two together?"  I told him yes and after that he kept repeating to us how "sharp" we looked.  It was a very bizarre interaction, but one that could only occur during the wee hours of the night.

On Saturday we watched the tennis match in the afternoon, Colin trying to explain to me the rules and me occasionally dozing off, and then in the evening we went to the Getty where we saw an amazing documentary photography exhibit.  My favorite photographer was Lauren Greenfield.  Her photographs from her Girl Culture series are entirely captivating:




Her photographs help to demonstrate the interconnectedness of self and body that young modern females internalize through influences by the media.  Her subjects are constantly finding ways to improve their bodies according to the standards set by the public and it is this obsession with perfecting the body that ultimately becomes their identity.  Her works are incredible.  Speaking of using the body as a form of self expression, here's a photograph of my outfit for the day:  ;)


And a funny little picture of Z lounging in my arms while I was "watching" the tennis game:

Blouse:  Secondhand store in L.A.
Jeans:  Thrift store in San Diego
Shoes:  converse.com
Headband:  Thank You Mart in L.A.

Saturday evening we watched the 'SC game.  We won!

On Sunday we headed out early to go to the Rose Bowl flea market in Pasadena and it was quite a crazy experience.  A lot of the clothes were a little out of my price range, but I did find some items I could afford once I dug through the piles and piles of clothes.  It was an odd mix of pricey vintage boutiques and run-down clothing stands where the clothes were neither hung on racks nor neatly piled in stacks.  Instead they looked more like this:

This is where I found almost all of my finds for the day.  I was most excited about this high-waisted pair of baby blue shorts, but didn't realize that they came complete with their very own security tag.  I unfortunately couldn't pry the little bugger off so I had to resort to scissors.  It was very sad, to say the least.  Hopefully I can mend them, though my sewing skills could use a little refining.  

Colin's day, on the other hand, was a complete success.  He bought a pair of old-fashioned motorcycle goggles (at least I think that's what they're meant to be--they look a lot like cylindrical diving bells for the eyes), a wool plaid jacket, a pine green vest with a United States seal-lined silk backing, and a pair of leather boating loafers.  

Here are some more images of the flea market and photographs of my outfit for that day:





Leotard:  American Apparel
Jeans:  Thrift store in San Diego
Shoes:  (fill in the blank)
Head scarf:  Thrift store in Hilton Head
Sunglasses:  Rose Bowl flea market
Necklace (with pine cone charm):  Rose Bowl flea market
Leather satchel:  Secondhand store in Phoenix

If ever I need a self-esteem boost, I'll be sure to go back to the flea market.  A couple of very fashionable flea market go-ers asked if they could take my photograph!  I was so flustered and flattered that it completely escaped my mind to get a photograph of theirs, even though I convinced myself that I wouldn't get carried away if it were to happen again.  It was such a supportive environment for self expression.  Hopefully next time I'll come back with photographs of some really inspirational fashion.


3 comments:

  1. The little ballerina girl was so cute!!! And Colin's stache is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tip for getting security tags off: pliars! I had one on a skirt and my tennis coach pried it off with no damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little ballerina girl is a sass master. And I'll have to relay that little compliment to Colin. He's very excited that his facial hair is finally taking root.

    Also, I had tried using some pliars and it didn't work! Either the metal was too thick or the pliars were too weak. Either way the shorts paid the price.

    ...I'm going to assume that the same thing happened to you (the store clerk forgot to take the tag off)?! Unless of course you've become a kleptomaniac since I last saw you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails