Sunday, January 23, 2011

Feline Fanfare

I convinced Colin to go to the Food and Water Bowl with me yesterday, which supposedly is one of the largest cat shows in the nation.  We were promised Nonstop Action!, Agility!, and the chance to see up to 450 Exotic Cats!, which I knew wasn't exactly an accurate representation of the festivities, but I didn't tell Colin otherwise.   

My sisters and I loved to go to the cat shows with my parents when we were little (I remember fondly begging them to take us) for two reasons: (1) we got to encounter and pet the most unusual looking creatures I've ever seen, and (2) there was always a chance we'd manage to come home with one.  We successfully negotiated the purchase of two different show cats on two separate occasions in return for our hard labor--picking up the dog poo more regularly was a promise we'd often make during these transactions. [Bluh!]

Last year, probably to rekindle lost feelings of youth, my younger sister and I dragged my parents to a cat show where I fell in love with them for an entirely different reason: they were so wonderfully bizarre.  The pampered cats, their selfless owners and the seriousness of an otherwise silly tradition... I found it all to be so sad, so amusing, and so strangely endearing, a mixed drink of feelings that left me confused and exhilarated.  I wanted to share my cat show experiences with Colin, and was hopeful that he'd find them just as magnetic as I did.

One of my favorite things about the shows is the intricate decorations of the cats' cages.  I like to imagine the personalities the owners believe them to have. 

The Sassy Glamazon
The Spicy Eclectic 



The Sweet Georgia Peach


Now those are some unabashedly proud owners!


For your enjoyment, a couple scenes from the show:


(This cat's face is priceless)




2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails