Thursday, February 24, 2011

Modern Marvels: Cheers to Flappers


I'm about a third of the way through a very academic book about flappers, and I've come to love everything about them.  When I first started the book, I tried viewing their eccentricities as if I were living in their era, and I couldn't help but imagine them as the Paris Hiltons of today.  They went to saloons nonstop, drank, smoked and stayed out late.  They even, dare I say?, flirted outright and engaged in heavy petting.  Their victorian counterparts were horrified.  But what the party girls of today aren't doing is making epic strides in the way of women's freedoms.  And that's something worth toasting over.

As an homage to the girl who modernized women, I feel it's only appropriate for me to take on her look, at least in one way or another.  I've decided my next haircut will be cut in the style of the flapper, much like this:
...At least once I get tired of my long hair.  The only unfortunate thing about this haircut is that it's quite similar to my older sister's haircut at the moment.  But her hair is almost always short, so we're bound to have similar haircuts at some point.  

Minor digression: How cute is this couple??  I stumbled upon this photograph while searching for flapper photos...  They've got an obvious advantage though; photographs taken in the middle of grassy fields almost always look good.    

*all photos via weheartit
**knowledge via Joshua Zeitz's Flapper: A madcap story of sex, style, celebrity, and the women who made America modern




1 comment:

  1. Jess and Kevin should recreate that picture and include onion and sydney sitting next to each other in the background hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails