Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gotta Secret

It's time to air some dirty little secrets of mine, one of them being my obsession with Pretty Little Liars.  I've been hooked ever since watching it with Krista this past summer, despite the fact that I'm totally aware of its outlandish plot, its subpar acting, and its profound tween fan base.  Yes, it's embarrassing to admit that I look forward to new episodes and that I feel compelled to defend its absurdities when Colin makes remarks about it, but there's something to be said about the giddy feeling I get after plopping down on the couch in my pajamas, dark chocolate in hand and Colin happily preoccupied in the other room, and queueing the show on my computer.  It's pure indulgence.

As an aside, you should know that I'm not usually prone to obsessing over shows as trendy and superficial as PLL.  In fact, I pride myself on my good taste in television shows (one may even call me a snob).  This means that either (a) PLL has, in fact, got some credibility, (b) I'm only pretending to like good shows, or (c) PLL is serving some sort of void in my life.    

Either way, I feel obligated to catch you up on the series so that you may experience the giddy feeling that I get when I know there's new PLL shows to be had.

So, without further ado...    
These four girls are besties.  They all share a love/hate relationship with their dead best friend who was murdered mysteriously and whom made their clique popular and cool.

This girl is having an affair...

...with this teacher.  She spends a lot of the current episodes trying to make sure that no one (including her parents) finds out about it. (It's totally creepy)

This girl used to be overweight and has low self-esteem because of it.  Her banker-lady mom also stole some money from an old lady who uses her bank whom "happened" to die all of a sudden.  They're both still working to cover up what she's done.  (Her parents are divorced, which the show implies is the reason for their money issues.)

The blond girl is going to fall for this guy, which the writers of the show have made obviously apparent, whom she's allowed to sleep in the basement of her house (he's homeless and sells black market goods at school).

This girl has recently come out to her parents.  

She was dating this girl (on the left), but they were forced to separate when Emily(the lesbian)'s mom got her sent off to rehab after finding weed in her backpack.  Her mom is just now coming to terms with her daughter's sexuality.

In the last episode I watched, Emily's swim team teammate [that's a bit repetitive] who used to bully her passionately kisses her despite having made a nasty remark about her being gay earlier in the show.

This girl's sister has just married a boy whom she's kissed before, but whom she now believes may have killed their best friend.

all photos found here
She's been talking with this guy whom the town has shunned after he was tried for the best friend's murder (though he's been found innocent).  She believes that he was framed and that the same person who framed him is trying to frame her.

All the while, all of the girls are getting blackmailed from an anonymous person who goes by the name of "A," who's posing as the dead girl (named Alison) and whom slowly reveals secrets the girls have kept from one another.  

Hopefully you got all that. 

If that synopsis sounds remotely interesting, and you've got the ability to swallow your pride for 45 or so minutes, you should watch the newest episode (I say the newest one because I haven't seen the earlier episodes so I don't know what they're like).  

And then, immediately after seeing it, COMMENT with your thoughts: the good, the bad, AND the ugly...  But beware; I've got an arsenal of rebuttals for the "uglies" prepared thanks to Colin and his sass, and I'm not afraid to use them.  ;) 




**There's no way I got all those whos and whoms right, which is why I need you to comment with corrections!!  I'm on a perpetual quest to become grammar literate.  [This (**) applies to all posts, past and future.]




3 comments:

  1. I have been secretly wanting to see an episode or two, and luckily, with your synopsis, I may be OK with starting at a later episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of it when you do get around to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails